MILAGRO ADVENTURE




Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Candeleros..we're cruisers now



October 6, 2012
What a wonderful day: lazy, without purpose and totally relaxed. We had already decided that after a lot of work and a barrage of social obligations it was time to do…nothing, with nobody. The morning involved a light breakfast and completing a few basic chores, then into the cockpit for a couple of good reads: for me, my current mystery and for him, of course, a manual on the new remote for our autopilot. We had devised a method for hanging Buddi’s cage in the cockpit, in the shade under the dodger, and were delighted to learn she was a happy camper when installed there. She was a bit crabby on waking this morning but happy as a clam when we brought her on deck, eating like crazy and taking a soaking bath in her drinking water.
After alfresco lunch on deck I launched my kayak and paddled about to the island and to the outside wall closest to our boat. I’m a fairly experienced kayaker at this point and have yet –knock on wood- to turn it over, Still I am reluctant to carry my little digital camera with me which is disappointing as I seem to miss some good shots.  I didn’t see much below water, a few small fish such as we see in the marina and a lazy sea turtle.  I did see a couple of crabs  with bright red and blue markings either mating or fighting or perhaps just joking among friends…as with humans it is sometimes hard to distinguish!
Out in our cruisers' car
Back at the boat I talked Larry into getting into the water with our snorkel equipment…which turned out to be beyond repair. But the water was refreshing and we got to see what was swimming beneath our boat. Later Voyager arrived with Bill and Julie aboard and we lowered the dinghy for a visit and a turn around the anchorage.
After that it was back on board to shower and sit on the deck with a small glass of wine and a cold cerveza and enjoy the setting sun. Three large motor yachts were anchored nearby and supplied a bit of Mexican music.
Shortly after retiring to watch an episode of Deadwood, the wind rose and large swells came into the anchorage from the West making our home rise like a leviathan from the water and then crash, bow first into the trough. The night was long and extremely uncomfortable. Milagro pitched like a huge 44,000 lb. bucking bronco. At times we levitated off the bed; thank goodness for memory foam!  The only good parts of the ordeal were 1) the boat was well-anchored and 2) always headed into the wind making our ride forward and back, rather than side to side. Both Larry and I got up frequently to ascertain that we were indeed on our mark and not dragging anchor across the cove and onto the rocks.
Later…..FYI, I am writing this about 2:30 a.m. I was awakened by the rolling of Milagro as the wind causes the wind generator to whirr and the boat to creak. I sneak out on deck to the top of the companion way (house rule: nobody goes out on the foredeck alone at night) and watch for a few minutes as large swells roll under us and the wind blows vigorously. With the moon shining brightly a millions of stars lighting up the sky I could read out here if I chose.
As daylight began to appear in the east we got up and I made coffee with some difficulty. We were still pitching and noticed that all other boats, including Voyager, had departed. We had hoped to explore the anchorage more in the dinghy today but it was still looking a bit rough for a pleasant trip. A call from our friends on Seychelles with a weather report confirmed that another night at Candellero, beautiful though it was, would prove equally as uncomfortable.  We decided to pull up anchor and head north about 20 miles to Isla San Francisco.
[A moment for an aside. Any who know me well are aware of my predilection to mal de mer, the dreaded seasickness. During my absence Larry heard of a miraculous preventative (Sturgeron forte) available in Mexico but not in the U.S.,  and purchased some for me from one of the many local pharmacia’s; this medication is touted as having NO side effects. As I take regular medication for heart, blood pressure and asthma I decided to check with my favorite English speaking doctor, Dr. Tuchmann. During an hour’s visit with him he translated all of my prescription to their Mexican counterparts, researched the particulars of Sturgeron and verified that it would not interact badly with any of my regular scrips (just a warning not to drink alcohol when taking it); he also verified that Larry’s Celebrex was available for locally and gave my spouse his regular B-12 shot: all for 500 pesos or about $40 USD!!
Still, the best part is that Sturgeron works!! One half a tablet, which can be taken even after symptoms appear, quells the queasies. I notice a slight feeling of “being tired” but that does not interfere with my ability to perform necessary duties.
I am thrilled!]

No comments:

Post a Comment