MILAGRO ADVENTURE




Tuesday, October 30, 2012

More island fun



October 10, 2012
Another lazy day. I marvel at how we manage to burn a day doing practically nothing. I chide Larry regularly for being a workaholic, not being able to relax. But I find that I too have trouble leaving my New England work ethic behind.
Today is, apparently, visitor day. Sometime during the evening Copernicus pulled into the anchorage with Brian and Carrie, a couple from Vancouver, aboard. Brian dinghys over with a guest, ostensibly to introduce her but I’m pretty sure it was so Brian could play with  Buddi. Brian seems to be an all-animal whisperer and Buddi actually permits tummy rubs. Actually, she has become friends with several other cruisers (all men, I might add); it pleases me that others get to see her as we do.

Before Brian left Nickie paddled her new kayak to Milagro and I agreed to join her on the beach for some shelling. I picked up a few really lovely small shells and spotted a couple of other interesting things. There were thousands of dead grasshoppers in the shell line, obviously washed in from somewhere. I also spotted the skeleton of what was more than likely a moray eel. The skeleton was maybe 3 feet long and the head, with rows of needle like teeth, was intact. The head was shaped like a miniature Tyrannosaurs Rex. Local lore has it that there is a free swimming 10 foot!! Moray eel that lives in the bay and some of the other boats were hoping to encounter it. Uhhhh, not me. I was satisfied with snorkeling near the boat where we saw big fat pencil fish and several others I have not yet identified.
This afternoon Larry and I rested, then he completed attaching the hoses to our hooka system and trying it out with his weight belt after some advice from Bill on Voyager.

That evening we were invited aboard Voyager for wine and a viewing of the space station as it moved past us, close to the horizon. However, we had the time wrong (trying to account for info out Arizona which is not on daylight savings time) so missed it entirely but nevertheless had a good time talking and eating (Julie writes a blog on marine cuisine and fixed fresh spring rolls…yummo), dingy back to our boat around ten and off for a good nights sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment