MILAGRO ADVENTURE




Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Ramblings - Part II (by Captain Larry Roberts)




My dear wife Edie has bravely engaged my ambitions on three different occasions.  The first was when we retired and moved to La Paz originally.  Although we have always had a boat of some description throughout our life together, starting out with small powerboats that we raised the kids with, and moving to sailboats in 1991, Edie suffered from sea and motion sickness, and it was all by grit and determination that she was able to tolerate and indeed enjoy our water borne excursions.  She was always a good sport, a brave sole, a willing companion, and a dedicated mother, making sure that her fears and feeling of being seasick would not interfere with the good times that were enjoyed by the family.  But when I wanted to buy my second sailboat, she told me that she would not object to me buying it, but please don’t ask her to sail with me.  We agreed and for several years I held true to that promise, but as we began to approach our retirement years and my dream of cruising became a looming reality, she decided that she wanted to try again to like sailing.  We very carefully chose good weather days, and we took our Irwin 37, STRAYDOGS, out on several occasions for day sails down the coast of Florida, and she did not suffer from seasickness nor was it scary for her, we had a wonderful time.  She developed the theory that if she took it a step at a time, that she could overcome her problems, and become the first mate that she so wanted to be, and when we retired and went to Mexico, this was the position that we were taking.  But two things happened that changed that position, one was that Edie missed the family, her friends, and life back in the states, and she also was driven by a need to do something special with her life, that she did not feel that she had yet accomplished.  Tagging along with me as my first mate, especially when most of what we were doing was working on the boat, was not a fulfilling life for anyone, so when Edie brought up the possibility of returning to the states, I supported her fully, and we set her up in an apartment in Cary, N.C.  After several months back in the states something happened that may have been some amount of a surprise: we missed either other so very much.  In February of 2012 we decided that she should fly down to Mexico, and we would go on a sailing trip, and Edie would just face her fears and together we would defeat them.  It turned out to be a terrible experience in that the weather turned bad, the seas were angry, and our attempted trip to Mazatlan ended with both of us beat up and dejected, thinking that this is impossible.  Edie had been so seasick, and so miserable and questioned her abilities to cope and her strength to persevere. On two different occasions she was thrown down by the action of the boat, and it was a wonder that she was not injured.  But as sick as she was, she came up laughing about it.*  I’ll let her tell you the funny part about being thrown down.  It is pretty funny, but she may not want you to know about it.  The one thing that Edie felt she accomplished by this trip was addressing her fears. We had been faced with seas up to 12 feet, winds that topped out at over 32 miles per hour, and a boat that was not operating properly. Although she was sick to almost death’s door, she sort of got over the feeling fear** that had for so long consumed her thinking about sailing.  As bad as the trip was, this was actually a positive step forward.  But after that trip, Edie returned to the states, leaving both of us in doubt of what to do next. 

Then we became aware of a medicine called Stugeron. It’s a medicine that was developed by the British for use by their air force pilots, and is not available for sale in the United States. We had never heard of it but several of our friends in Mexico had told us about it.  According to reports, you only have to take the medicine when you feel sick, not necessarily before you get sick, as we always had to do with other medications.  The medicine did not have to be taken as a preventative for sea sickness, but could be used as a treatment.  There were no side effects, and no after effects.  Sounds too good to be true.  Even our doctor in Mexico strongly endorsed its use.

Our being apart was taking a toll on each of us and in the month of June, 2012 Edie and Buddi returned to Mexico again, armed with new information on a sea sick remedy, as well as a massive amount of determination on Edie’s part. This time we planned a voyage of major magnitude. We planned to be out for a month, and we would go to Loreta, a historic, beautiful and charming little town about 300 miles north of La Paz.  We had good weather, bad weather, a hurricane, great sailing, magnificent scenery, great diving, great hiking and exploring, and great companionship with two other boats that we buddied up with. We even did an overnight passage on the way back to La Paz in order that Edie would finally see a sky so unpolluted with artificial ambient light that all the stars could be seen, the milky way could be seen, and the glories that I had told her about could be witnessed.  She even did a watch of her own, where I slept and she was in charge of the boat.  Not once through the entire trip was she sea sick, not even during the hurricane.

But things were not all right.  Edie felt an overwhelming fear almost the entire time that she was out.***  When the sea was disturbed she had doubts about the boat, and suffered a constant nagging that almost consumed her.  She tried with great concentration to control that uneasy, uncertain feeling, but it seemed to dominate her subconscious thought.  And she suddenly came to the conclusion that these feelings would compromise her ability to conduct the duties that she would naturally have in passage making.  And after a long period of dealing with these issues, with the season approaching fast that would require me to either start my cruise, or to put it off for another year, Edie decided that she and Buddi would again return to the states. 

This decision was probably the most generous, loving, considerate, self sacrificing and dignified decision that I have ever been witness to.  Edie would not allow in any way, her inability to cope with the demands of sailing to interfere with my plans, which had been my dream for many years.  This returning to the states was her gift to me, that would allow me to continue with preparations and planning for a major cruise, that would probably top off my sailing career, and the adventuresome part of my life.  My gracious thanks to you Edie, I wonder how many other people that I have every known in my entire lifetime would have been so thoughtful and giving.****

*Funny story: with Milagro pitching violently from side to side I found I needed to go below to use the head. As it was very cold I was wearing several layers covered by foul weather gear with suspenders. It took quite a while to peel down to the essentials and as I was sitting on the throne and reaching for a bottle of blood pressure medication a huge wave hit Milagro; I was unceremoniously dumped off the throne into the galley along with some 80 small pills. There I sat, three pairs of pants around my ankles, trying to pick up little white pills that were everywhere! Yes I was bruised and battered but what could I do but laugh. I was just grateful that no one was taking pictures!

**Truth is, I was probably too sick to feel anything other than...well, sick.

***Actually, that's not so. True, there were times, when seas were rough, when I was very apprehensive. But most of the time I was thoroughly enjoying myself and quite relaxed. On the other hand when the fear overtook me it was all encompassing.

****I could do no less for my Captain. My dearest wish is that he has the voyage of his dreams, then returns to share his journey with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment