MILAGRO ADVENTURE




Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Two paths

Milagro anchored in Caleta Partida




April 24, 2013
Yesterday Larry left La Pa, Mexico for parts south: we don't know exactly where, we don’t how far or for how long. For those who have not followed this blog or who may be unaware of the back story, I offer the following update, an abbreviated account of the past two and a half years.
That smile say it all

In May 2011, after spending eight months in Mexico with Larry aboard Milagro (our 43’ Spindrift sail boat), I decided to return to the States and allow Larry the freedom to carry on with his lifelong dream; this was not decision easily made. Larry and I spent long hours talking about this and agreed that my fears and chronic seasickness made me a second rate first mate as well an occasional unhappy camper. I loved my Captain, La Paz, marina life and our many new friends. But I am a “bluebird” sailor; that is, I really enjoy sailing when conditions are – let’s admit it – perfect. I love the sea life, the scenery and being out on an expanse of water with life narrowed down to the barest essentials. But when the winds whip up and the seas grow ever larger I am gripped by an irrational but very real fear. Even when we sail in good weather I am wary about what the next day will bring.
Beyond those feelings was the sense that I was spending the “third third” of my life riding someone else's dream. With children and grandchildren in North Carolina and friends up and down the Eastern seaboard, surely I could find a more meaningful way to spend my latter days. So with that in mind, and through no small effort on Larry’s or my part, I moved to North Carolina.
I can’t say that the next ten months were unproductive or unrewarding; it was great to revisit family and friends and even to spend time in solitude, contemplating my life past, present and future. I had some wonderful experiences, but I missed my Captain and he missed me. After a painful chapter which occurred midway of that period, followed by visits back and forth, we resolved that I would move back to Mexico, take a more active role in our sailing life and see if armed with a new anti-seasick medication, I could be a good sailor and enjoy that life, after all.
And in a way those missions were accomplished. We worked hard on the boat for the first four months following my return to La Paz.  We also had a lot of fun: day and afternoon excursions on land and sea. dinners and music with friends, lazy, steamy afternoons
lounging by the pool with ice cold drinks. In October we sailed for a month, by far my longest  - and best -time ever at sea. I enjoyed much of the experience but continued to be anxious during rough seas and high winds. In case anyone wonders, I am actually capable of functioning quite well under these circumstances; I can do what needs to be done, but I’m also aware that it is no fun for Larry to watch my strained countenance or worry about my reactions while he is busy handling the boat in challenging situations.
So once again I am in North Carolina. I haven’t been banished and I don't see myself as a quitter. Both Larry and I are comfortable with this decision, although we continue to miss each other and talk daily when internet and/or phone service are available.
I'll always have the memories...
Now that you have the scoop on the background...let me lay out my purpose in continuing to blog. First of all, I am still part of the adventure. I know Milagro better than anyone other than Larry and I love to hear news about what is happening with her: what has been recently installed, fixed or redone, where she is going and how she performs. As Larry and his crew member, an experienced sailor from South Africa,  cruised the islands north of La Paz I followed their progress with SPOT, a GPS device which emits signals showing where the boat is at any given moment. Now as they head towards mainland Mexico and then on to Panama and beyond, I continue to follow their progress and look forward to the stories I know will emerge from this adventure. I intend to record here the where, what and how of Milagro’s adventures and share pictures as they come to me. In fact I'll be able to do some first person reporting as we are currently planning a reunion in Panama this summer. The other part of this blog will detail my own feeling about what is happening so far away as well as a bit of my own “adventure.”
So once again, please join Captain Larry & Edie Roberts for "the rest of the story."

No comments:

Post a Comment