MILAGRO ADVENTURE




Sunday, January 30, 2011

Taking the bird for a walk


Buddi getting a ride on another occasion
Buddi in the backpack
Taking the bird for a walk along the breakwater
For Buddi a chance to get out and see the world
For me, a perfect two mile walk to burn off those extra Mexican calories
I see three fishermen along the way
The first is part of a family group
Mother, two children and father with a string of fish
One fish is over two feet long
"La lunche," the man says and smiles
"La lunche grande,"
I reply in limited Espanol
Halfway down the breakwater another fisherman
This one over the edge, sitting on a rock
A short piece of fishing line held in one hand
Shoulders stooped, clothes old and tattered
He looks up with defeat in his eyes
I wish for him a good big catch
I want to think of him eating tonight
On we go along the gravel path
I walk to the edge of the battlement
Soft voices below
I peer over to see father and small son
The father, so patient,  teaching his son to fish
Over and over again they cast the bait into the water then quickly reel it back in 
At last a bite and up comes a tiny fish
Both father and son are proud and happy
I applaud and they both look up
Little boy smiles shyly and holds up his prize
I give him two thumbs up and that must be an international sign
Because he grins broadly
I wave goodby
Buddi and I walk back to the boat

No comments:

Post a Comment