MILAGRO ADVENTURE




Friday, February 4, 2011

While the Captain's away


a favorite picture, taken in England in 2005

The captain is still in sunny Florida where he is working very hard on, would you believe it, a boat!  He also has more business further north and of course he's looking forward to spending a bit of time with friends and family. I miss him, particularly at sunset time when I am the only one sitting on the foredeck enjoying the fabulous view.
Even with everyday duties to complete and a few miscellaneous projects to conquer,  I do have some time on my hands so thought I would use a bit of it to share what's going on, for me, in La Paz.

First of all, I’m now driving, by myself, in Mexico.  It has occurred to me that with my fabulously clean driving record in the States (I know, I’m unjustly proud of 50 years of driving and no tickets, no accidents) I should be able to navigate the streets of La Paz. My first venture was to drive back to the marina after leaving Larry at the bus station. Whew! I made it.  Next I spent a whole day chauffeuring a friend around the city as he shopped for provisions and boat items prior to taking off for parts south. Since then I’ve driven to Club Crucerous, done some shopping and even got the car washed.  I know the captain will be happy about the clean car and even happier on my willingness to drive solo here.
MY POPULAR CHOICESThose who know me know how much I love to read, so it was a great pleasure to find a local book club and be invited to join.  The group meets monthly to discuss a previously assigned book and to talk about future selections. This month we discussed La Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver.  I was particularly happy with this selection as I admire the author and share an interest in the topics covered in the novel: Mexico, Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera, then on to the U.S. in the era of the McCarthy hearings.  Altogether it was a great read for me and for most of the other members.  One bonus: the club meets in a private home, a hacienda which is large and lovely (the club has about 30 members!).  The house has three floors with rotundas at the 2nd and 3rd levels, wide marble staircases, lots of artwork and what we would call a “widow’s walk” above it all. Oh yes, and they serve wine and cake.
I’m spending more time cooking on board.  I was surprised to have so much difficulty preparing full meals in our small galley.  After all, for better or worse I have been cooking for years.  The counter space is, well, nearly non existent.  Cooking an ordinary meal with a meat (for the captain), a couple of vegetables, maybe a salad and some bread left me with the fridge and freezer tops covered with cutting boards and food in various stages of preparation and me with no access to the fridge and freezer.  I’m also dealing with a three burner gas stove which, although I find has many advantages, has no work surface at all.  My solution has been to either prep everything ahead of time or find some go-to recipes for great one dish meals.  So far coq au vin is my favorite, or at least the captain and guests’ favorite.  Ahhh….practice makes perfect or at least better!

I’m enjoying walking and biking.  It’s a great way to get around, even if you are willing to drive the car, and with all of the delicious but carbohydrate laden Mexican food I can really use the exercise.  Buddi seems to enjoy the outings in her backpack as well.
With all that fun time I am still diligently carrying out first mate duties on board and they do keep me almost busy enough.  Counting the days until the captain returns and wishing him all good luck in all of his ventures.
P.S.  Friends in Florida may now gloat: a nasty Norther blew in two days ago. It was 49 degrees in La Paz with 34 knot winds blowing in the marina!  Milagro was being blown against the dock and I got up several times to check lines and make sure the fenders hadn't ruptured as the had on a neighboring boat. But it's still sunny!

No comments:

Post a Comment