MILAGRO ADVENTURE




Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Feliz Cumpleanos



Today my Captain celebrates a milestone, a very special birthday. And in honor of this day I’d like to dedicate this blog to him.
Often self-deprecating  and always ready to smile at himself, he has said many times over the years that he never thought he’d live to be thirty. Or to paraphrase Minnie Pearl, if he’d known he was going to live this long he’d have taken better care of himself.  (pause for chuckle) But the truth is he is in great shape: he is resilient, healthy with an agile mind and a strong body. He loves to point out that he takes no regular medication.  He works hard – six or seven days a week – as there is always something to do on the boat - then is ready to go out with friends and do the same thing the next day.
It’s probably pretty obvious that I love him. He has been my friend, my partner, and father to our children. He has been my strength in times of great sorrow and the one person who can always make me laugh. Of course there have been ups and downs in our marriage; we have both done and said things we regret. But any mistakes we may have made have been forgiven and in the long run made us stronger as individuals and as a couple.
In a scenario wherein I am stranded on a desert island and get to choose one person to join me…I choose Captain Larry. He is strong and smart and funny and creative and able to "MacGyver”  his way out of any difficult situation.  He is good with people and kind to animals and I am happy and proud that he chose me be his life partner.

So Larry, happy birthday and may you live long and prosper! You may not be perfect but you are perfect for me.  Soon you will be sailing to the South Pacific and I expect you’ll be wearing that beautiful smile…and perhaps that’s all.

No comments:

Post a Comment