MILAGRO ADVENTURE




Monday, November 19, 2012

Thanksgiving

I have been somewhat discouraged lately. Larry and I had a wonderful adventure in the Sea of Cortez, despite a bit of bad weather and a serious refrigeration problem. Now we are back in La Paz: old and new friends arrive daily either from having spent the summer in the north of the sea or from the west coast, having scooted down the outside of the Baja and up into Bahia de La Paz with the Baja HaHa. There are lots of activities as we ready for the huge Thanksgiving celebration here in Marina Palmira or the upcoming Subasta (more about that later) at Marina de La Paz. And of course Christmas and New Years are right around the corner. Cruisers love an excuse to party and eat almost as much as librarians!
So why have I been discouraged? It seems there is ALWAYS something to do on the boat. We complete one project and another two or three loom on the horizon. Not unlike a house, actually. But after a few days of feeling down and out I have kicked myself in the pants and told myself, "Hey, you, Thanksgiving, as in being grateful and giving thanks, is just around the corner. Buck up and stop feeling sorry for yourself!"
For one thing I thought about a lovely lady, Laura, who with her spouse Steve visited their boat Orontes which was docked next to us for many months. Laura and Steve lived in Texas but traveled to La Paz regularly to work on their boat. No matter what else was going on, no matter how badly work may have been going, Laura and Steve came up on deck every day at sunset and sat quietly watching as the sky turned golden, then pink, then red.
Thinking of them, their obvious gratitude for what lay before them, was just the reminder I needed. If I started writing today and typed for the next 24 hours I could not begin to list all of the blessings in my life. It is all too easy to focus on things that may not be going well and to forget about loved ones, friends, good health, shelter, food, clothing and the many many gifts received daily.

From now on, an attitude of gratitude!

No comments:

Post a Comment